Monday, December 12, 2011

Time to Think

I can't stop thinking about this sweet family in our ward. Almost two weeks ago my friend lost her husband, Jared Johansen, unexpectedly and inexplicably in the middle of the night. He was a healthy 27 year old who leaves behind his wife, 17 month old daughter and another daughter due in January.

I should mention that Jared was also the oldest son of my current bishop. He and his wife have been living with his parents for the last year as he was preparing to go to law school in the Fall.  The outpouring of concern and love from members in our ward has been amazing.

It's at times like these that you really come to think about what you believe and grow a deeper appreciation for what you currently have. I have been humbled by the faith this family has shown despite their immense trial and feeling of loss. The memorial service was beautiful and very uplifting.

I am thankful to know that families can be together forever, that Christ lived and died so that we might return to live with our Father in Heaven again. It's easy to live in the moment and forget our ultimate purpose in life. I have learned to cherish those you love because you never know how long they will be with you.

Jared's cousin has written a beautiful tribute and reflection on her blog of her experience with his passing. Check it out here: http://benandcamille.blogspot.com/2011/12/forever-changed.html

1 comment:

Amy said...

So heartbreaking. Definitely puts things into perspective. My heart goes out to his wife and kid(s).