Sunday, January 13, 2008

Fort Funston

One of the best things about living in San Francisco is the many historic sites scattered throughout the Bay Area. Recently a sister in our ward came up with the great idea of making a scrapbook highlighting some of the famous sites in the area. Many families in our ward have each chosen a location to visit, to take pictures of, and then to create a scrapbook highlighting their adventure. At the end, we will compile all the pages and have a great memorial book of the area and the ward.

Nate and I chose to visit Fort Funston. If you remember my previous post on China Town, this is another card of the 50 "City Walk Tours" we have. We pulled it out and went on our way.

During World War I and II, Fort Funston served as a lookout point for enemy ships attacking from the Pacific Ocean. It was during World War II that Fort Funston was expanded to include large artillery batteries. Now there are only remnants of the batteries.

Today, this area is famous for dog walking, hang gliders and a good stroll on the beach. Although the weather was not right for hang gliders, which we were bummed about, we saw tons of dogs and had a nice walk on the beach!
In front of one of the batteries

At the start

Sitting on one of the lookouts

Watching dogs playing on the beach

Footprints in the sand

Karate Kid

I love walking in the wet sand with bare feet!

Carrying both our shoes- what a great husband!

A view of some bluffs from the beach

4 comments:

Doug & Annette said...

You guys are getting really good at this blogging thing! It is fun to listen to music while reading about you. It looked like a fun day.

Christian and Stephanie said...

Yeah! I'm so glad I found your blog!! It looks like you two are having so much fun! I hope all is well!!

Alex said...

It looks gorgeous! I love the footprint pictures. Nice work getting music on your blog as well. I'm impressed. You'll have to show me the ropes on that one sometime. Alex

meagan said...

Was the water freezing? I am impressed that you got your feet when. Great pictures.