Friday, July 1, 2011

Front Room Collage

The house projects are still going on here but at a much slower pace now that Nate has started his new job. In our front room we have a big wall over our couch that I haven't known how to decorate since we moved in. The space felt overwhelming to me.

After a trip to IKEA over a year ago I saw some picture ledges that I thought would work. We only bought one so I didn't feel overhwhelmed trying to fill it at first - fulling planning to buy a second one down the road. The picture ledge was a little more difficult to put up than we anticipated and we also hung it in an awkward place. If we put another ledge below it, it would be way too low. If we hung another one above it, it would be way too high. We were a little stuck but the single ledge wasn't doing it for me. Then, to couple the problem IKEA stopped selling the length of the picture ledge we had. I told Nate I wanted to change things and he said "No". He didn't want to deal with patching up the holes created by the ledge or trying to figure out how to remove the anchors we used to hang it. So - the ledge stayed but I didn't love it.

In January I read an article in Women's Day magazine that inspired me on how to decorate the wall. It mentioned one of the best ways to fill a big space it to use a bunch of smaller items in various shapes and sizes. This time when I told Nate I wanted to change the wall he reluctantly agreed.

Below are pictures of what we came up with. I like it soooo much more than the single ledge. It really does fill the space and has more personality.


2 comments:

Doug said...

What a great job in filling that large space. It looks wonderful, I can't wait to see it in person.

Jacobson 'Ohana said...

Looking good! When will you come and decorate our home?